Mersa Matrouh
     
Mersa Matrouh lies on a bay on the Mediterranean and distinguished by a beach of 7 km long, which is by the testimonial of all its visitors, one of the most beautiful in the world. There are also ruins of a temple from the time of Ramses II (1200 B.C.) in Matrouh. The beach is famous for its white soft sands and calm transparent waters, for the bay is protected from the high seas by a series of rocks forming a natural wave-breaker, with a small opening to allow light vessels in. This beach dates back to the days of Alexander the Great, when it was known as "Paraetonium" and also as "Amunia". It is said that Alexander the Great stopped there during his historical expedition to pay tribute, and sacrificed to the god Amun at Siwa so that he becomes Amun's son and so his rule becomes a historical continuation of the pharaohs.  

Monument and Tourist Sites


Egyptian Fleet Anchorage
Built by the Ptolemies, the remains of the naval installations still stand west of the port.

Coptic Chapel
Built in the early Coptic age, and contains several caves bearing inscriptions.

Rommel's Hideout
A cave, hewn in the rock, where Rommel drew up plans of his military operations. It has now been turned into a military museum.

Beaches

Ageebah beach
About 28 km. west of Mersa Matrouh, it is distinguished by its numerous natural caves and enchanting scenery.

Al-Abyad beach
About 20 km. west of Mersa Matrouh, its beauty surpasses that of Mersa Matrouh beach.